Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Look up!


Avery has started to understand what it means to "look up." When we wash her hair, we take a cup and dump water on her head - and up until now, we have done our best to simply cover her face with our hands, so the water runs mostly around her face, instead of down it. But, she wiggles and inevitably ends up with a face-full of H2O. She gasps and chokes and looks at you like, "what was that?"
Well, I decided to try to teach her to look up, so the water will run down her back. This is not as easy as it sounds. Teaching a two yr old who's stubborn and distracted by toys and bubbles a concept like UP is tough. She'll look at the ceiling when I ask her to, but then in mid-pour, she'll look down. Or vice-versa, and that's when the face-full thing with the gasping happens again. She just won't look up and STAY looking up - even in spite of the consequences.
I think you can probably see where I'm going here. We get so stubborn and distracted with all of the piddly, self-serving stuff that takes our focus, that we refuse to just look up and see God ready to make us clean and keep us from getting a face-full. If God would just hold our complete attention all the time, we'd be less stressed and way more fulfilled.
Every time I wash her now, I'll be reminded of making a conscious effort to "look up" in my own life.

No comments:

Post a Comment