Monday, February 23, 2009

Obey. Now.

You've got to go watch this video: www.vimeo.com/3325548
(sorry, I can't figure out how to embed it)

One of the coolest things happened yesterday that I have ever experienced in Student Ministry. Nick (our MS Pastor) and I were set to baptize 4 guys between services downstairs in "the coffin," as it's affectionately known (It's a portable baptistery, but watch the video and see hwat I mean). This was going to be very cool - it's always a raucous event, with people crammed in the room screaming their heads off. We make it a big party for these people that are obeying God by taking the next step with Him in baptism.
Well, we get through two of the guys and have to pause and wait for the other guys' parents to get there, and I ask (as I always do), "Anyone else?" I usually get a few laughs, but no one takes me seriously. Until today, when one of our Sophomore girls stepped forward and says, "I think God is asking me to obey. Now." She had to be on stage, leading worship in 10 minutes, and she had all of her normal clothes on with nothing to change into, but she felt God's Spirit prompting her to oeby, no matter what. So she jumps in and the crowd went nuts! She told me later that what happened was huge for her, because she needed to be reminded that she was "precious and honored in [His] sight" (Is. 43:4) even if she looked silly on the outside. Deep stuff from a 10th grader.
It could have stopped there, and that would have been amazing. But what followed was phenomenal (yes, there is a big difference between "amazing" and "phenomenal" - I looked it up). After her example, seven more kids jumped in that pool fully clothed! How cool is that? Nick and I were so overwhelmed by these students intense desire to obey God on the spot.
This whole experience reminded me that when God speaks, we just have to listen and obey. Period. No questions, no stalling, just obey. Now.
Watch the video, if you haven't yet. Go God.

1 comment:

  1. Very cool...Can't say I've ever seen or heard of that happening before.

    ReplyDelete